Grammar for the Sophisticated - The Use of Semicolon

 When should a semicolon be used in a sentence? What are the rules? - Quora

Speakers and writers can use semicolons (:) to join two independent clauses together instead of a comma (,) (Weinstein and Finn 64).

For example,

1) John's friend new a about a trip to Virginia. She told him how excited she was.

The above statements are two independent clauses, which can be combined with a semicolon (;).

John's friend new about a trip to Virginia; she told him how excited she was.

According to Weinstein and Finn, the above independent clauses have connections because the second clause relates to the first clause (64). Thus, the purpose of a semicolon is to unit two related ideas together.   In my role as a uniter for a workshop, I had a chance to unite ideas from workshop's attendees. 

From one attendee:

"I can use technology to help students access information. The presence of technology in my classroom is important for my students.  My students know how to use smartphones, computers, and tablets. So it is critical that I know how to use technology, so I can help my students."

Uniting the clauses above with semicolons:

I can use technology to help students access information; the presence of technology in my classroom is important for my students.   My students know how to use smartphones, computers, and tablets; it is critical that I know how to use technology, so I can help my students.

How To Use Semicolons

Works Cited

Weinstein, Lawrence and Finn, Thomas. Grammar Moves: Shaping Who You Are. Pearson 

Hau




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grammar for Being Adaptable (Week 12)

Grammar for Being Modest (Week 11)

Yours or Mine: Who has OWNERSHIP? - The Use of Apostrophe