Being Flat or What? Active vs. Passive

The Lowdown on Active vs. Passive Voice - BKA Content
Which Option is Better?


Parents always want their children to be active in many different avenues. They do not want their children to be passive in anyway possible. Teachers in schools share the same sentiments with parents. They want their students to be active because being active makes things like learning fun and engaging for everyone. Thus, the use of active voice can help students and listeners to understand what are expected of them. Active voice avoids ambiguity and ensure clarity, so listeners and receivers avoid possible misunderstanding.

Weinstein and Finn emphasized that using active voice presents straightforward directions (12). For example:

a) I was sidelined for the rest of the season.  (The rest of the season sidelined me.)

b) My parents were cheated out of their money.  (Money cheated out my parents.)

c) Something needs to be done. (Someone needs to do something.)

d) I was given a C. (A grade of a C was given to me.)

e) The job was assigned to me. (I was assigned a job.)

Being straightforward is more effective and efficient in many ways.   A President of the United States has to be direct and straightforward.  For example:

a) A decision has been reached to send American troops to Afghanistan.

b) I have decided to send American troops to Afghanistan.

If the President used  sentence A, listeners might be confused as who made the decision and made them wonder more.  Sentence A was straightforward because it stated that the President himself or herself made the decision. It gave clarity and gave a direct source as who made the decision.

Professionally, I use active voice as much as I possibly can.  I use active voice in oral and written communication to engage my listeners and receivers and avoid ambiguity.

Works Cited

Weinstein, Lawrence and Finn, Thomas. Grammar Moves: Shaping Who You Are. Pearson Education, 

     Inc. 2011. 

Hau

   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grammar for Being Adaptable (Week 12)

Grammar for Being Modest (Week 11)

Yours or Mine: Who has OWNERSHIP? - The Use of Apostrophe