Grammar for Being Varied - Lengthy Sentences

Variety benefits us in so many ways - Independent.ie

Speakers and writers often want to vary the length and structures of their messages.  While some speakers want to use short sentences, other speakers end up using long or lengthy messages to illustrate their points of view.

 The Point of Point-of-View | Ingrid's Notes

Depending on the specific needs, writers' and speakers' use their "words" (Weinstein and Finn 89) which can lead to "thoughts" (Weinstein and Finn 89).  Weinstein and Finn showed that everyday words that speakers and writers use can "predetermine what thoughts" (89) they have in the first place.

Memory loss: What's normal and what's not? | Shine365 from Marshfield Clinic

There are times speakers and writers want to express something in their minds, but they go to a blank stage and start to think what they want to say. They experience some forms of "cross-out" (Weinstein and Finn 91). According to Weinstein and Finn, "cross-out" is not a part of grammar rule, and writers have leverage about the use of "cross-outs" in writing.  For example, I tend to say something, and immediately I go "blank." When this happens, I repeat to myself: "What did I just say?"  In another example, I have heard some people said that "that's not what I mean."  There are times people may experience short memory loss. As a result of this phenomenon, they go to a blank stage. This blank stage does not mean they are being open-minded or even thoughtful.  For example, "Your blue shirt does not match my taste." If  Speaker A would say this to Speaker B, Speaker B would feel awful and rejected for many reasons. Then Speaker A try to appease Speaker B by saying "I didn't mean what I just said."  What Speaker A does is considered a cross-out, but we cannot determine that the Speaker A is thoughtful and open-minded. If the Speaker A is open-minded and thoughtful, Speaker B would not have heard such thoughts from Speaker A.

When and why has the symbol of the little cross been chosen to indicate  'exit' on computer apps and on the web? - Quora

I had a chance to look back my previous essay that I wrote for another English class. After carefully reading and crossing out the "weakest, least compelling thinking in the" (Weinstein and Finn 96) essay, I realized I could replace those "cross-out" lines for stronger ideas. For example, I wrote: "Their opportunity to live, stay happy, work, enjoy life, be who they are, and do whatever they desire in accordance with the rule of law" (Nguyen 1).  Since my paper focused on whiteness is the standard of justice, freedom, identify, and opportunity, I should use "negatives" to include in the sentence to emphasize the difficult plight that African Americans and other minority groups have experienced living in the United States due to the fact that they were not "white."

Works Cited:

Nguyen, Hau.  Whiteness Is the Standard of Justice, Freedom, Identity, and Opportunity."  6                  

     December   2022. English 5400, Clayton State University, student paper.

Weinstein, Lawrence and Finn, Thomas. Grammar Moves: Shaping Who You Are. Pearson Education, 

     Inc. 2011. 

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grammar for Being Adaptable (Week 12)

Grammar for Being Modest (Week 11)

Yours or Mine: Who has OWNERSHIP? - The Use of Apostrophe