Grammar for the Faster Speakers and Writers (Week 11)

The Power of Being Real - Future Of Work

There are many ways speakers and writers can use to convey their messages. Whether they use passive or active voices, their focus is to "create voice" (Weinstein and Finn 56) for their targeted audience. By creating a voice for their audience, speakers and writers can use "contractions and parentheses" as "grammatical devices" to help them conveying such "purpose" (Weinstein and Finn 56). 

For example,

"Here I am actually 'hooked' on a program" (Weinstein 61). The speaker wanted to emphasize his passive enjoyment of a program by placing the word "hooked" in parenthesis to emphasize the importance of his or her message.  The speaker wants to be "passively real" with his or her intention about the program he or she wants.  The word "hooked" is actually a past participle of "hook," which is a verb." To use "hooked," the speaker or writer must use a linking verb of "to be."  

 

How to Stop Being Passive Aggressive (with Pictures) - wikiHow

_______________

There are other times and situations that writers and speakers use different approaches to convey their messages to certain audience.  For example, some users may use emoticons for different purposes. 

Emoticon character vector set. Emoticons flat characters in crazy, sick,  vomit and weird facial expressions for funny emoji collection design.  Vector illustration. 4852785 Vector Art at Vecteezy 

I personally do not like the use of emoticons for various reasons.  Even though we are in a digital era, I do not prefer the use of emoticons whenever I communicate with people. If I use emoticons, I would use in situations such as grading students' work, sending quick agreements or disagreements with senders, and avoiding long responses to those whom I do not want to deal with.  For example, I had would click on a happy "emoticon" to quickly agree with a sender about a particular message that I deemed annoying. My happy emoticon did not mean that I agree with the sender, but it was a quick way for me to passively agree and get rid of the message without thinking about it. Thus, I do not believe in the use of emoticons as an effective way to convey real messages in writing and other forms of communication.

Works Cited

Weinstein, Lawrence and Finn, Thomas. Grammar Moves: Shaping Who You Are. Pearson 

Hau

 

 

 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grammar for Being Adaptable (Week 12)

Grammar for Being Modest (Week 11)

Yours or Mine: Who has OWNERSHIP? - The Use of Apostrophe