Grammar for Being Honorable (Week 12)

 Why should a person be honorable? - Quora

Speakers and writers are careful when they present information to their targeted audience. In some cases, their targeted audience may misunderstand their intended messages. As a result, they could be misquoted or misunderstood, which could go awry and negatively consequential. For example, I was misrepresented at work because the "blamer" did not have enough evidence to make allegations against me. However, the misrepresentation did more harm even thought I was able to justify it. For example, the blamer reported to a supervisor stating that "Hau disrespectfully argued with a presenter at a meeting." The quoted report did not represent what I said at the meeting. Even though I did disagree with the presenter, I voiced my concern emotionally. I was not being disrespectful. I wondered why I could not emotionally argue my point of view.  I was not yelling or having a tantrum.  I was able to resolve the misrepresentation, but it was already causing my reputation to be misunderstood by my supervisor.

How to Hold a Student Debate in 6 Easy Steps | AhaSlides

I had a chance to set up a debate for two friends about religion. Friend A expressed his view that Catholics is to ceremonial without evidenced teaching from the Bible. Friend B disagreed and proved  evidenced sources by quoting Bible verses.  Eventually, I had them summarizing each other arguments and shared with all three of us. After sharing, the two friends disagreed how they wrote about their opinions. They expressed that the summaries were not exactly what they meant in the debate. Thus, the use of quotes is important because they are "meant to set off the actual words of another person" (Weinstein and Finn 115) and can prevent misrepresentation.

Works Cited

Weinstein, Lawrence and Finn, Thomas. Grammar Moves: Shaping Who You Are. Pearson 

Hau

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grammar for Being Adaptable (Week 12)

Grammar for Being Modest (Week 11)

Yours or Mine: Who has OWNERSHIP? - The Use of Apostrophe