Grammar for Being Open-Minded (Week 15)

Open Minded - WRITING PROMPTS 

 The world includes people of different aspects of life, backgrounds, needs, wants, desires, thinking ideologies, inquisitiveness, and many more. This diverse world has moved away from being in a vacuum and toward a melting pot. As a result, people engage in different processes or "forms of inquiry" (Weinstein and Finn 92), so they can "open-mindedly" (Weinstein and Finn 92) work and live with each other in this diverse world. In some cases, people, including writers, use "cross-outs" (Weinstein and Finn 91) to "eliminate" (Weinstein and Finn 91) something they may not want to hear, see, or engage with. For example, in m conversation with several colleagues at work, they end up omitting something in their arguments, such as "I meant to say this, but you know..."  Realistically speaking, I did not know what the speaker meant to say since we were both diverse individuals with different thinking. The speaker wanted to make a point but ended up letting the listener decided to engage the ending thought for the speaker. It could lead to assumptions or speculations, which might not be productive.  Thus, verbal cross-outs are ambiguous, and cross-outs do not necessarily mean people are thoughtful or open-minded. 

Strikethrough, cross out text (strike out t̶e̶x̶t with symbols)

I recalled writing my thesis statement for my undergraduate paper.  When I finished the paper, it was about 20 pages. After submitted for review, my professor's feedback was for me to edit and revise the thesis paper with recommended suggestions, including the cross-outs. I recalled the cross-outs were repetitions and wordiness that I employed while I was writing. After revising and editing, I thought of ways to save the materials because I did not want to shorten my thesis paper due to the page requirement.  I started to change to verbs to make more sense and have connections with the subjects that I mentioned in the paper. In addition, I removed the passive voice from my sentences and changed them to active voice. In addition, I add more examples and real life situations to save the materials from being crossed out. 

Works Cited

Weinstein, Lawrence and Finn, Thomas. Grammar Moves: Shaping Who You Are. Pearson 

Hau


 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grammar for Being Adaptable (Week 12)

Grammar for Being Modest (Week 11)

Yours or Mine: Who has OWNERSHIP? - The Use of Apostrophe