Grammar for Being Trusting (Week 13)

The Neuroscience of Trust | Psychology Today

 Weinstein and Finn expressed that "grammar affords us a variety of ways to stress certain words" (51). Stressing certain words can help speakers and writers to emphasize their important points. For example, the use of exclamation points, italics, capitals, and emphatic (Weinstein and Finn) can help speakers and writers put more emphasis on certain points in their messages. For example, "Before 9/11, no one could have predicted that terrorists would use our own planes as missiles against us!"  The use of an exclamation mark in this sentence strongly express that speaker's strong feeling for this sentiment. I would use this mean to emphasize my strong feeling about the event.  However, the use of exclamation mark is only good for writing. In speaking, I have to stress with emotions to ensure my targeted audience would understand my feelings. I would not use capitals in the previous sentence because it could indicate that I was screaming. I would not also use italics because it could determine that my feeling was weak. Of all three means, I prefer to use an exclamation mark to show how I feel about a particular subject.

Exclamation Points: Your Guide to Avoiding Them | Time

 Even though the use of an exclamation mark can help writers to express how they feel, overusing it or using it to exaggerate can make writers seem obvious.  For example, "What a great pleasure it was to meet you today!!"  The writer used two exclamation marks to express who he or she felt. However, it could made the writer looked "unauthentic." It also seemed that the writer was seeking too much attention, which could deter the respondent to give the writer a genuine response.  If I were the manager, I would ignore the message, and I would not even respond.

Works Cited

Weinstein, Lawrence and Finn, Thomas. Grammar Moves: Shaping Who You Are. Pearson 

Hau

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grammar for Being Adaptable (Week 12)

Grammar for Being Modest (Week 11)

Yours or Mine: Who has OWNERSHIP? - The Use of Apostrophe