"To be or not to be, that is the question" (Shakespeare 1). William Shakespeare's famous line has continued to influence speakers' or writers' decisions to make certain claims. Weinstein and Finn expressed that "teachers" (121) contribute to "the confusing use of 'I'" (121). Weinstein and Finn stated that the use of "I" is "far too often forbidden" (121) in classes. Wienstein's and Finn's claim on the use of "I" are realistic in many ways. For example, I had to be careful and considerate in the use of "I" when I was in a meeting. If I used "I" to express something, I might omitted the contributions of others even though "other" people might not contribute to the group work. However, it was "me" that did the most, if not, all of the work. To appease the others, I ended up using "we" and "ours" to make false claims about what did not happen...
The use of present tense with regards to someone's action is basically labeling someone (Weinstein and Finn 81). In reality, no one wants to be labeled. Thus, speakers and writers need to cognizant of what they say and how they say something to their targeted audience. Example: a) Professor Fowler lost her temper with her students. b) Natasha left a paltry tip-less than five percent of the check. c) You complained. Instances of Labeling: a) I saw Professor Fowler losing her temper with her students. b) You witnessed Natasha leaving a paltry tip-less than five percent of the check. c) You are a complainer. I recalled a time when I blamed my sister as insensitive to my mother. Here was the dialogue in the present tense: You really do not make sense. You are insensitive to mom's needs. You do not consider her point of view. I am not sure you are such a person. According to Weinstein and Finn, "nobody likes to be negatively labeled" (81). When I had that...
Weinstein and Finn expressed that "grammar affords us a variety of ways to stress certain words" (51). Stressing certain words can help speakers and writers to emphasize their important points. For example, the use of exclamation points, italics, capitals, and emphatic (Weinstein and Finn) can help speakers and writers put more emphasis on certain points in their messages. For example, "Before 9/11, no one could have predicted that terrorists would use our own planes as missiles against us!" The use of an exclamation mark in this sentence strongly express that speaker's strong feeling for this sentiment. I would use this mean to emphasize my strong feeling about the event. However, the use of exclamation mark is only good for writing. In speaking, I have to stress with emotions to ensure my targeted audience would understand my feelings. I would not use capitals in the previous sentence because it could indicate that I was screaming. I would not also use ita...
Comments
Post a Comment