Grammar for the Past - Past Tense

 Is Holding Onto The Past Limiting You? - Gary M Douglas

The use of present tense with regards to someone's action is basically labeling someone (Weinstein and Finn 81).  In reality, no one wants to be labeled. Thus, speakers and writers need to cognizant of what they say and how they say something to their targeted audience. 

Example:

a) Professor Fowler lost her temper with her students.

b) Natasha left a paltry tip-less than five percent of the check.

c) You complained. 

Instances of Labeling:

a) I saw Professor Fowler losing her temper with her students.

b) You witnessed Natasha leaving a paltry tip-less than five percent of the check.

c) You are a complainer. 

3 Ways to Stop Labeling People - wikiHow

 I recalled a time when I blamed my sister as insensitive to my mother. Here was the dialogue in the present tense:

You really do not make sense. You are insensitive to mom's needs. You do not consider her point of view. I am not sure you are such a person.

According to Weinstein and Finn, "nobody likes to be negatively labeled" (81). When I had that conversation with my sister, she was in shock that I used those words with her. She really did not like how I labeled her.

Here how the conversation changed to the past tense:

You really did not make sense. You were insensitive to mom's need. You did not consider her point of view. I was not sure you were such a person.

The change of verb tense in the past did not change the outcome of my conversation with my sister.

Works Cited

Weinstein, Lawrence and Finn, Thomas. Grammar Moves: Shaping Who You Are. Pearson 

Hau

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grammar for Being Adaptable (Week 12)

Grammar for Being Modest (Week 11)

Yours or Mine: Who has OWNERSHIP? - The Use of Apostrophe