Grammar for Being Adaptable (Week 12)

7,400+ Adaptable Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images - iStock |  Flexibility icon, Business flexibility, Flexibility concept

I have known the use of adverbs can make a difference in how speakers can demonstrate their actions. Words such as "quickly," "soon," "willingly," and "far."  My favorite adverbial proviso is "if." I like "if" because it is a condition that I can use with "will statement" to guarantee a better chance of something that I can do when I make a commitment to do something in the future. For example, "I will go to Peru if I have time and money." When I make this statement, I make a condition that can only happen "if" another condition can meet my goal.  The use of "if" helps me to undo the promise that I may not commit to when unfortunate circumstances may arise unexpectedly. 

Here is a brief account of a situation in which I used "if" adverbial proviso.  I shared with my family members in Vietnam that I would travel to Vietnam to visit them "if" I have time and extra money.  I used this adverbial proviso to set a precondition with "will" to ensure that I may not meet my promise and prevent other parties from misunderstanding if I cannot make.

Major League Baseball Fan Compatibility Test

Speakers and writers can use adverbial provisos to express "credible" (Weinstein and Finn 102) information. For example, "The use of steroids in Major League Baseball will never disappear completely." This statement need another "credible" source to strengthen the argument.  The revision of the previous statement can be strengthen with this proviso: unless.  "The use of steroids in Major League Baseball will never disappear completely" unless rules are in place to test players routinely and randomly without prior announcements.

Works Cited

Weinstein, Lawrence and Finn, Thomas. Grammar Moves: Shaping Who You Are. Pearson 

Hau












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grammar for Being Modest (Week 11)

Yours or Mine: Who has OWNERSHIP? - The Use of Apostrophe